At St Barnabas and St Paul’s, we believe that children need to experience duties and responsibilities that come with being a member of a community in order to help prepare them to play an active role as citizens. We believe that all of the roles of responsibility (Head Boy/Girl, Deputy Head Boy/Girl & Prefect) have very important roles to play in the day to day organisation of our school and as only Year Six pupils are allowed to apply for these positions, they are considered to be very prestigious.
It is expected that these children will demonstrate, in their everyday lives, all the values that the school upholds. We expect all of them to lead by example; demonstrate independence, responsibility and reliability; have an awareness of the welfare of others; and to be a role model to all other students.
Each child is given the opportunity to apply for the jobs that they would like to be considered for and their applications then go through a selection process. The children who apply for the role are selected by SLT and other members of staff and currently report to Miss McCormack with any queries or concerns.
The responsibilities of the Head Boy/Head Girl and Deputy Head Boy/ Deputy Head Girl include:
- Showing visitors around school
- Contributing to the school Newsletter
- Making speeches at events
- Acting as a positive role model
The roles and responsibilities of our school prefects include:
- Holding the doors for children and staff after worship
- Letting staff members know that they can collect their class after worship
- Positioning themselves around school, gently reminding children how to move around school
- Modelling the correct behaviour expected of a pupil at St Barnabas and St Paul’s
- Collecting names for Stars of the week on a Thursday afternoon from teachers.
- Handing out letters for the office
For the year 2019-2020, the positions are as follows:
Head Boy – Sohail H
Head Girl – Humera A
Deputy Head Boy – Abdullah J
Deputy Head Girl – Zunaira Z
Prefects – Zainab J., Muktadir A, Nadya Z., Arooj N., Alina S and Eshal Q.