At St Barnabas and St Paul’s, our aim is to deliver a broad and balanced writing and SPAG curriculum designed to develop the children’s English skills in preparation for future education and life. As the vast majority of the children at our school have English as an additional language, we place a heavy focus on language development and we want the children to be able to apply this through their writing. Our book-based curriculum aims to enable the introduction of a range of genres as well as subject specific vocabulary and should lead to a wide range of writing opportunities, ensuring all children make good progress.
The aims of teaching writing in our school are to develop pupils who:
- show high levels of achievement and exhibit very positive attitudes towards writing;
- confidently use and understand language and Standard English as speakers, readers and writers;
- are competent, confident and independent in the use of language in their writing;
- have an awareness of different audiences, genres and purposes for writing;
- apply their grammatical knowledge in their writing;
- apply their knowledge of punctuation in their writing;
- apply their phonetical and spelling knowledge in their writing;
- apply the English language in all areas of the curriculum;
- build upon their cultural, emotional, intellectual, social and spiritual development through their reading;
- produce legible writing using cursive handwriting.
“You can make anything by writing.” C.S Lewis.